Once a year, every year, there is homecoming. Homecoming is a chance to see new face and old alike, a chance to party, eat and for most it is either a week-long or a weekend fashion show. A chance to show your best. I am a part of a drumline organization known as the Bongo Brothers Incorporated stemming from the marching 101 of South Carolina State University. Amongst us there are people who do not only play drums, but they sing, rap, they are engineers authors and architects. Every year multiple homecoming shirts are designed and created by the Bongos, for the Bongos and ONE shirt is voted on by over 150 Bongos for this day, but that doesn't mean that shirt is the only thing we'll be wearing. Homecoming is one of the only times Alumni and undergraduate Bongos feel the need to bring out ALL of their paraphernalia, but then again what better time is there? Hats, wrist bands, t-shirts (of course), tikis (large beaded necklaces), shoes, jackets and more all to be shown within 2 days.
Which brings me to my shirt. I love my organization and the people in it but sometimes I feel the need to stand out when I am with them, not to mention that this year I am the president which may have given me a better excuse to stand out than because I want to. You may have guessed it, but my mother made me this shirt. There is only one like it in all of the universe and I have that shirt too. I asked her to make it because it does not just symbolize Bongo Brothers Incorporated with the actual words but it symbolizes the creation of something bigger than just drums since 1963, something that would last longer than a lifetime. Where am I going with all of this? Autodidactism, it is important everywhere and anywhere including homecoming.
No comments:
Post a Comment